Summertime is the time for jerk chicken and what better way to serve jerk chicken than with a side of coconut rice? The spicy yet mouthwateringly complex blend of spices combined with the almost creamy rice is a perfect balance. This side dish recipe truly embodies the flavors of the Caribbean and is super simple to make.
Coconut Rice with Red Beans
- 2/3 cup white rice
- 1/3 cup of canned red beans, juice drained
- 1 ¼ cups coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon butter (For vegan: use your favorite oil)
- ¼ teaspoon Seasonest Jerk Seasoning
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Add the rice and red beans to a saucepan with the coconut milk and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer then cover.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and leave covered for 3-5 minutes or until the rice is tender but still has some bite. Drain excess liquid, if any.
- Stir in the cilantro, butter and Seasonest Jerk Seasoning.
- Add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve immediately.
Jerk Seasoning Blend
Caribbean Jerk is a popular flavor in the Islands. It's a mixture of allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg and thyme with garlic, other spices and sea salt. Jamaicans tend to use scotch bonnet pepper but don't worry. This blend is hot, but not fire hot.